Discover your potential for video poker with these poker tips and tricks
There is a significant difference between slot machines and video poker machines. Learning how to play video poker might be a game-changer.
When video poker was first developed in the early 1970s and was still gaining traction, the machines were commonly referred to as “poker slots.” Video poker and slot machines have a lot in common.
For instance, it’s pretty easy to use them, and they don’t require any interaction with the dealer or other players. A random-number generator governs card combinations, much as it does slot reels. Video poker has become one of the most popular games.
However, unlike slots, video poker requires skill, as it requires you to play the hand you’ve been given in the best possible way according to the poker hand rankings.
What exactly is Video Poker?
There are many different types of video poker, but all of them are based on a five-card draw, which is one of the most basic poker variations.
Learning how to play video poker
You should follow some steps to play video poker. Check them out.
First, the player is assigned a five-card poker hand, and they are given the option of discarding one or more of them in exchange for new ones. You can also discard all your cards. Then, according to the paytable, your hand is either paid out or not. The difficulty and set-up differ depending on the game operator and the game variant.
This is quite useful summarize of the main steps:
- Add money to the video poker machine.
- Place your bet.
- Get your first five-card poker hand and press the deal button.
- Discard any cards that you don’t think will be useful
Video Poker Variants
Video poker slots come in a variety of styles. These are four of the most popular:
- Better-than-jacks: a pair of jacks is the minimum winning hand
- Wild dados: in this version, any other card can be replaced in hand to help you construct a better one.
- Wild deuces
- Poker with a bonus: this version is based on Jacks or Better and pays a bonus for four of a kind.
- Bonuses in twos: another variant of Jacks or Better. It pays a bonus for four aces.
Poker Hands Ranking
- Royal flush: Ace-king-queen-jack-10 all the cards of the same suit (hearts, clubs, spades, or diamonds).
- Straight flush: Five consecutive cards of the same suit
- Flush: Five cards of the same suit
- Full house: Three cards of one rank, two cards of another rank
- Two pair: Two cards of one rank, two cards of another rank
- Four of a kind: Four cards of the same rank
- Pair of jacks or better: Two jacks, queens, kings, or aces
- Three of a kind: Three cards of the same rank
- Straight: Five consecutive cards of mixed suits
Tips and tricks to win at Video Poker Online
Keep in mind that these tips will not necessarily guarantee your win; they might help you be more professional and avoid basic mistakes.
- First and foremost, understand the pay table.
It might not be easy at first, but this is the basic information you will need to succeed because hands may be ranked differently according to the video poker product you are playing with. Payments features might be unusual or different.
- Play a few demo games
Play with fictional money first if you want to be a true professional. This is one of the best aspects of online casinos. They offer a “play for fun” or “demo” option for you to practice with.
- Learn basic strategy
In video poker, the optimum strategy is to choose the card holding pattern that delivers the best return-on-investment following a draw. It’s a good idea to look up a strategy chart online and apply it while playing
- Play safe
Always play it safe, and don’t risk by placing large bets. Look for lower prices to keep you ahead of the game at the casino.
- Do not forget about the jackpot (royal flush)
Real money video poker games are six times more likely than slots to produce a jackpot payout. It might be a good idea to try.